What are you shopping for?
Last week my friend Rachel Olsen had an inspiring post in reference to her published devotion that ran Monday December 7 http://www.rachelolsen.blogspot.com/
Rachel always seems to speak to my heart at just the right time with just the right words, and it has little to do with the fact that she's an incredible word smith and English Professor. She's a precious servant and vessel of the Lord.
In her devotion she mentioned this interested statistic. "Recent research shows depressed shoppers typically spend 30% more than happy shoppers. I think that's because we have a tendency to try to purchase our way to feeling happy. We call it Retail Therapy"
During this season of giving, I do find it tempting to engage in a little personal retail therapy while purchasing gifts for family and friends. Do you find it tempting to purchase a little "joy" for yourself while shopping for others?
What are your Christmas shopping habits?


3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Last minute panic, spend way too much money, then regret that I spent so much money on gifts that no one will remember a year from now. We have already told our young sons (ages 7 & 4) that this year will be different but we are trying to head off disappointment with fewer presents by stressing the gift of Jesus. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's blogs about how they're preparing for Christ in Christmas this year :)

Blogger Joyful said...

I try to shop for Christmas all year. I buy for a lot of people, and it's better to space out my spending over 12 months. It also allows me to purchase items on sale.

The odd time I have picked up something little for myself while Christmas shopping, but not often. I honestly get such a joy out of buying for others and so excited about what I'm purchasing for them, that the giving alone is retail therapy for me. I've found it truly is more blessed to give than receive.

Hugs to you tonight,
Joy

Blogger Rachel Olsen said...

Girlfriend! Wouldn't you know that I also read the other week that people frequently spend more on a gift for themselves than on a gift for others. I think the average was $100 spend on self while Christmas shopping for others.

I think we just have a hard time resisiting those sale prices. Or maybe we just have a hard time letting others get all the goodies (there's a heart matter, huh?).

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
Proverbs 31

P31 Speaker Blogroll
Previous Posts
Archives
Miscellaneous
Credits